Wednesday 15 June 2011

Inspiration - Couture Brighton








Yesterday I went to the exhibition Couture Brighton, in the Brighton museum & art gallery. The flyer grabbed my attention with the roughly brown papered packaged manequins. Reminded me of the packaged models of Martin Margiela. One of the works displayed was by Juliana Sissons, who I met briefly earlier in the year when she was a artist in residence in the V&A, Sackler Centre.

As part of Brighton Fashion Week 2011 the Fashion & Style Gallery will feature 'Couture Brighton'. Using the city as a source of inspiration, some of Brighton’s best known and dynamic fashion designers have worked in collaboration to produce nine new gowns that demonstrate the skill, opulence and art of the Couturier. The gowns will be staged in the costume gallery at Brighton Museum against a beautiful mirrored backdrop to create an installation of breathtaking beauty and exquisite detail.

Featured designers include:

Ailsa
Joanne Fleming Design
Juliana Sissons
Mazelino
Paul Milana
Chrissie Nicholson-Wild
Sarina Poppy
Renaissance
Suzie Turner

I most like the feather dress by Suzie Turner. With a corseted top half, the dress is made from goose feathers, with a red lace underlay. I think there must of been some sort of treatment given to the feathers to retain the stark whiteness. The aesthetic reminded me of Alexander McQueen's style. I also enjoyed seeing other pieces of fashion in the gallery, a quaint embroided 1930s handbag. A punk Vivienne Westwood style top. Also a tartan ensemble by Emanuel Ungaro. On the way out near the shop, I saw a Grayson Perry vase. One of his vases covered with less controversial illustrations. I always enjoy seeing his work pop up.

Couture Brighton

Brighton Museum & Art Gallery

June 2nd - July 3rd 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment